Potjie recipe: Cooking outdoors is fun!!!
I love Cooking outdoors because it gives you a sense of freedom plus you don’t need to clean the kitchen after 🙂
Potjie is fun and tasty and gets people to sit together next to the fire for a long time while meal is being cooked.
For those who are unfamiliar with potjiekos,It is a cast iron pot that is designed for cooking outdoors.
This pot is originated from South Africa. The idea is to cook “slow and low”, it only needs a few coals under the pot or a very small fire.
some of the recipes take quite a lot of time between 2-4 hours. so you need to be very patient when preparing a potjie.
You can find many potjie recipes on the web. I like to prepare my potjie with short ribs and root vegetables and some wine.
Potjie recipe with Short Ribs and root vegetables:
Ingredients(for potjie size 3):
- 2 Kg [4 lb] of short ribs without bone sliced to cubes
- 2 Onions cut to quarters
- 2 Potatoes cut to quarters
- 2 Sweet potatoes cut quarters
- 2 Carrots
- Half a bottle of red wine
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- A handful of cilantro(option)
- Half a cup of wheat berries
- Fry the Short ribs for a few minutes on a big fire for closer of the meat.
- Put the meat aside and put the vegetables into the pot. stir for a few minutes then get the meat cubes back in.
- Add the wine and let it reach boiling temperature, if there is not enough fluids then add more wine or some water.
- Close the lid. Let it cook on a low fire for the next 4 hours. Try not to mix too many times because all the vegetables will become moosh.
- At the last half an hour add the wheat berries. They will absorb all the fluids.